Toronto Workers Club
9 James Street
Toronto NSW 2283
Registered Club Act
Holiday Unit Rental
Membership Renewals 2013
Hamilton Island Offer
Update Your Details
Activities & Promotions
Members Cash Draw
Monday Mexican Madness
Hump Day Raffle
June Ham Raffle
Xmas in July Ham Raffles
Xmas in July Toy Raffle
Sock Hop Saturday
Shows and Concerts
Seniors Monthly Cabaret
Xmas in July Cabaret
Solid Gold Party Night
Country Music Fest!
State of Origin
Cocktails & Cupcakes
Toronto Country Club
Toronto Country Club
The formation of Toronto District Workers Club all started with a group of servicemen returning from war. Compared to overseas, they found local hotels were unsatisfactory.
A group of men got together determined to establish a club. A committee was formed prior to 1951, this committee used to meet at several places, one being the School of Arts building in Toronto. They approached the council to obtain a license.
Toronto District Workers Club was first established on the corner of Donnelly Ave and Carey St, Toronto, where Young & Green car sales operated. There were only 5 members at this time, women were not allowed to become members until 1953.
The first club house was made possible when Newstan Colliery donated one of their old buildings which was re-erected and located at this site for a short time.
A few years later, a shed was built on a base of chitter and ashes on swamp land along the side of where the current club now stands. After receiving 25 pounds to build a club house, John Lewis and Allan Woodbine, with Stan Clarke, a volunteer, commenced construction and by lunchtime that day the frame was errected with fibro walls on three sides.
However, while they went to lunch a whirl wind came up, blew through the building
and blew it to the ground. After starting again, they finished and now had a club house of their own.
The seats were made from railway sleepers and were placed around three sides of the building, along with a makeshift counter to place only one keg at a time. A stock of beer was kept at the ice works up the road and when the next keg was needed, they took turns making the quick trip to the ice works for a full one.
The shed remained as the club house for 2-3 years and was demolished when a new hall was built along the front of where the current club now stands.
By 1977, the club's needs had increased to such an extent that the board of directors commissioned Leighton Contractors to extend and refurbish the premises. The then premier, Mr Neville Wran opened these extensions on November 17, 1979.
Over the next few years the club again experienced the need for more spacious premises and another two refurbishments took place, one by New England constructions and one by James Clifford constructions.
During these renovations, the entrance to the club changed from James Street to the club's car park at the rear. Work on the later of these projects was completed in September 1995, and was officially opened in March 1996 by Mr Bob Carr.
The most recent renovations started on April 1st 2003, again by James Clifford constructions, and all started with first seeing the fish tank in a paddock covered with cobwebs, dirt and grime. From this point the clocks started to turn and thanks to the foresight of the Secretary Manager, Mark Singleton, who visualised its potential, has now turned into a marine ecosystem and is a main feature of the club's entrance.
Full details here
Refurbishments completed in December 2003, it now stands testament to the determination of our founding members over half a century ago.
Today, Toronto Workers Club has over 14,000 members, and largely supports the community and organisations. It also is a major sponsor of sporting groups in the area.
Toronto Workers Club - Something for Everyone
© 2011 Copyright