The formation of Toronto District Workers Club all started with a group of servicemen returning from war. Compared to overseas, they found that local hotels were unsatisfactory. A group of men got together and determined to establish a club. A committee was formed prior to 1951, this committee used to meet at several places, one being the School of Arts building in Toronto, and they approached the council to obtain a lease.
Toronto District Workers Club was first established on the corner of Donnelly Avenue and Carey Street, Toronto, where Young & Green Car Sales operated. There were only five members at this time, women were not allowed to become members until 1953. The first Club House was made possible when Newstan Colliery donated one of their old buildings which was re-erected and located at this site for a short time.